Saturday, May 2, 2015

Use of IO for IV Rad Contrast

In ATLS we are taught that anything that can go through an IV can go through an IO. This was questioned when we were unable to obtain a large enough gauge IV to give a patient the contrast solution he needed. Would an IO be safer than a PICC line? Would one less ambulance trip make more sense? Would this cause unnecessary damage to the patient?

At our small hospital, we don't have access to much, but we can do IOs. When all you have is a hammer.....

I had a quick look at my PubMed On Tap app and found 3 case studies of others who have done this successfully. No side effects are noted.

These are case studies, certainly not case controlled research. Hopefully someone will pursue this.

IO access appears to be safe but I don't see any studies comparing safety to a PICC line, likely because IOs are only used in emergency situations.

So, would I use an IO for a patient needing radiocontrast? I would advocate for it if IV was unavailable, it could avoid an admission to City Hospital, I was able to convince the radiologist on call to let me do it. It's just as invasive as a PICC. Truly though, I'm not sure of a situation when this might be the right choice given my current practice. If a patient is unwell enough that they do not have IV access, chances are good they should go to the City anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment